Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Queens 10K July 1, 2012

It's July, It's hot.  Remember when all I could do is complain about how cold it was, well, now all I will be able to talk about is how HOT it is.  I'm from Arizona originally and spent years in Hawaii.  So most of my life has been in warm (HOT) climates. But this humidity thing, just kills you.  Today I ran a 10K in Queens.  Before the race we were giving a heat advisory!  I was not looking forward to this race.   Still worried about my toe and knee, a tad under the weather and of course the HEAT, I was not planning on doing well.  I just wanted to get it done and over with.  I just bought a new knee brace and wore it for the first time.  It was also the first "official" race where I listened to my own music.  The race was early, so it was only 84 degrees out, not too bad.  I started the race and felt pretty good.  After the first mile I was still feeling good, actually better than good.  My knee wasn't hurting, my nerves were calm, breath in control.  I decided that this might be a good race after all.  I turned on the turbo boosters and decided to run.  I still had some weak moments, there were a few times I wanted to stop or slow down, not for any good reason.  Nothing was hurting, just pure laziness was whispering in my ear, "you could walk if you wanted, it would be easier" but since I'm stubborn as an ox, I was able to keep running. I ended up finishing in 44 minutes and 38 seconds, which was a pace of 7:12 minute miles, not to shabby.  Overall I was 296th out of 5,442 people.  Marathon... here I come! 



Time: 8 am
Distance: 6.2 miles 10K
Time: 44:38 minutes
Music: Kaleidoscope songs 

No comments:

Post a Comment