Saturday, July 28, 2012

NYRR Long training run

With my marathon training program, I've been going out on some longer runs, 12 miles, 14 miles, 13 miles, But today was the first NYRR Marathon LONG training run, 20 miles!!  I've never run that long.  It's a bit daunting.  I got up early and made my way to Central Park.  Since is was a training run, we broke into pace groups.  I'm still pretty new to all this, so I don't know exactly what my goal marathon pace is.  I showed up and the fastest pace was 7 min/mile and went up every thirty seconds.  I didn't know which group to join. On my own I run anywhere from 6-9 minutes, usually pretty inconstantly. I didn't want to push too hard and hurt myself.  I wanted to be able to complete the 20 miles, but I wanted to challenge myself as well.  I ended up going with the 8 min/mile group.  It was a good choice. I was challenged but able to keep up and finished strong.  The next day I was sore, but just my muscles, not my knees, which was awesome!  Marathon here I come....


Time: 7 am
Distance: 20 miles
Time: 2:40:55
Music: shuffle

No comments:

Post a Comment