Friday, June 29, 2012

Run 64 Daily Life

Many people experience NYC as a vacation destination, but living here is a different experience. During this run I passed a lot of people living their daily lives.  It made me think about the similarities and differences about living in NYC.  On the subway ride up I was entertained by street performers, break dancing in my subway car.  As I started my run in Harlem, shortly after the sunset, I realized I was in a neighborhood, just like a neighborhood in any small town.  There were people sitting out on their porches, in this case the NYC sidewalk.  They had lawn chairs out and were gabbing away.  I would get friendly greetings or even a jokester who wanted to made fun of me, as I ran by.  I ran past a small poker game, four people, a folding card table, and one guy with a nice pile of cash.  It's getting really hot here and some how many of the fire hydrants are tapped into and water trickles or squirts out, for the kids to play in just like I did, with the hose in the yard as a kid.  I see people carrying the laundry to the laundry mat and carrying their groceries home.  I share the sidewalk with kids riding scooters and people walking their dogs.  NYC might be know for Times Square and Grand Central Station, but don't be fooled , take a stroll down 142nd street instead of 42nd Street, peek into a neighborhood garden, normal everyday life is going on as well.  


Time: 10 pm
Distance: 4.64 miles
Time: 40:22 minutes
Music: random

No comments:

Post a Comment