Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Run 87

With out getting too dark or morbid, I had an interesting realization on my run today.  I ran past a funeral home and wondered where do people get buried if they live and die in Manhattan.  Space and land is not one of the commodities of NYC.  I've seen and run past cemeteries in Manhattan, but don't ever recall seeing headstone from this decade?!?  Trying to research and come up with an answer was not very easy.  All my internet searches lead to cemetery tours and record/location searches.  I called a few funeral homes and got a small brief understanding of what happens.  I did find out that in 1851, all cemeteries on Manhattan, south of 86th street, were closed to new internments.  At that time large cemeteries were build and opened in all the other boroughs.  So if you live and die in Manhattan, your final resting place ends up being in Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, or even New Jersey.  

Time: 6 pm
Distance: 6 miles
Time: 49:01 minutes
Music: The Wild Party

No comments:

Post a Comment