Thursday, August 2, 2012

Run 77 NYC Subway

A big part of NYC is taking the subway.  Most people here do NOT own a car and rely on public transportation.  Every now and then I miss the convince of my own car, like when I'm grocery shopping or need to move large objects, but most of the time I'm extremely happy not to pay insurance, car maintenance or buy gas.  The subway has many perks.  Getting to and from places can be quicker than dealing with traffic on the streets.  Parking in NYC is a fortune.  Not driving, gives you time to read, or play games, think, listen to music, write, etc.  One of my favorite things about the subway is the entertainment.  There are musicians, singers, and dancers both in the stations and the subway cars as well.  Not to mention the people watching.  You can see a lot of interesting things on the subway. It's rarely a boring ride.
There are a few down sides to the subway as well.  Rodents, lots of rats live in the subway.  Flooding, litter, crowds, homeless graffiti, etc.  Travel north and south is easy, but traveling cross town (east/west) is not as convenient.  The subway runs 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year, BUT late at night the frequency of trains dropped dramatically.   There are some lines that only come once an hour, if you just miss a train that is a long time to wait for the next one.  
After going out one night, I found myself way up town, late at night.  I knew that I might have to wait a long time for the next train, luckily I was in shorts and running shoes.  Instead of waiting, I ran home.    
45 minutes later I was home.  Not sure if I beat the next train or not, but I'm sure it would have been a close call.      

Time: 3am
Distance: 5.81 miles
Time: 43:06 minutes
Music: Carrie Underwood

No comments:

Post a Comment