Thursday, August 9, 2012

Run 80 injuries

A very important piece of advice for running a marathon or any long distance is to never try anything new the day of the race.  Don't wear any new articles of clothing that you haven't run in before.  Don't eat an unusual meal right before your race.  Don't use goo (race energy supplement) that you haven't tried before, etc, etc, etc.  It all comes down to not knowing how your body will react to these new items.  Last you heard from me I had the "great" idea to wear an ankle brace.  The next morning I woke up bright and early to go on my weekly long run and my ankle was in bad shape.  Not the top of my foot, which was the purpose of the brace, but my ankle, in a new injury that I hadn't had before.  I stretched and was getting ready to go on the long run.  I even headed to the meeting location, I wasn't going to miss this run, I was going to push through it.  But some thing in my gut told me it wasn't a good idea.  
For the next few days my "lateral malleolus" (the ball on the outside of your ankle) hurt.  I had to miss not only my long run, but the next 2 as well.  Finally 4 days later I felt like I could give it another shot. So I started to put on my ankle brace and gear up to go on a run.  Just then a light bulb went off.  The seam of the ankle brace ran right across my lateral malleolus, with my shoe on, every step my shoe would push the seam of the brace into the back side of my lateral malleolus.  So I left the brace off and went for a good run.  
This is why training, experimenting and being prepared long before the actual race are a good idea.  Hopefully I can work out all the kinks before the marathon.  

Time: 1 am
Distance: 9.01 miles
Time: 1:09:02
Music: Sugarland

No comments:

Post a Comment