Sunday, September 30, 2012

Run 98

It's funny the way our minds work at times.  You'd think that running past a building or location wouldn't make a lasting impression.  Many times it doesn't, BUT, some times it does.  One thing I didn't count on was the memories I was making as I ran every street of Manhattan.  There are areas that I'm passing for the 3 or 4th times.  I saw them originally as I ran the streets, then again when I ran the avenues and then again getting to and from different running locations.  Some times I have to re-run a street just to get to a street I haven't run.  Once you are in an area that many times you begin to become familiar with it.  By the time I'm done with this I will have seen everything at least once.  I may not remember exactly where some thing is, or how to find it, but it's all stored some where deep inside my little mind.  Today I ran past the corner of 155th Street and Broadway.  I knew that my spooky run was just around the corner and I also had this very vivid image flash into my head.  The very first time I was at this corner, I was stopped waiting at a red light and this girl in her early 20's had just come from the liquor store,  She had a brand new bottle of booze in a brown paper bag.  I'm sure it was for that evening's festivities. It slipped out of her hand and the bottle crashed, breaking and spilling all over the sidewalk.  Her two friends laughed and ran away, not too far, just far enough to watch and laugh more. She stood there in middle of the puddle of wasted booze with a mix of emotions on her face.  She was embarrassed that everyone was watching her, she was definitely sad that her hard earned money was now running down the sidewalk, she was confused about what actually happened, how it slipped and what to do next. She ended up leaving it on the ground and running to hit her friends for laughing and then quickly disappeared.  
Though this story carries no real significance or importance. It's now a memory engraved in mind that I look back on and smile. It's moments like this that make life fun and exciting.  I will now have little anecdotes that have happened all over Manhattan.  

Time: 8 pm
Distance: 12.5 miles
Time: 1:44:22
Music: Once the Musical, Green Day

No comments:

Post a Comment