Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Run 94

Today was my first run after my not so stellar performance at the 18 mile marathon tune-up.  I took a day off and then hit the streets.  I began running and my legs were killing me, especially my calves.  I almost stopped.  I felt like I was too sore to run.  I fought the feeling and wanted to at least run a super easy 2 miles.  The entire first half mile was horrible.  I really wanted to quit.  I felt like I could barely move and that some thing was wrong.  I decided I was being a whimp and couldn't give up.  After that painful first half mile, things started to loosen up.  I then started to feel much better and was able to go over 7 miles.  By no means was it a fast run, but it did end up being a satisfying and enjoyable run.  
I had traveled all the way to the top on Manhattan for this run, which is part of the reason I wasn't going to give up.  Running on 10th Ave in the 200's is a pretty neat view.  The subway is elevated here and the street is directly below it.  On a nice sunny day the light penetrates through the tracks and creates beautiful patterns and shadows on the
 ground below you.  It reminded me of the sprockets on 35mm negatives.  It was a gorgeous sight.  I had to stop and snap a picture so I could share it with you.  

Another accomplishment happened on this run.  I reached the very top on Manhattan.  I ran 220th street.  It's only one block long with a car wash and lube station.  It has ample street parking and very little traffic or noise, in no way a typical NYC street.  I had planned on reaching this point long ago, but my plan of attack on the street grid changed some.  It feel pretty amazing to have reached this point.  I really am gonna make this happen.  

"Have you ever thrown a fist full of glitter in the air? Have you ever looked fear in the face and said I just don't care? It's only half past the point of no return, the tip of the iceberg, the sun before the burn, the thunder before the lightning, the breathe before the phrase, have you ever felt this way?  Have you ever wished for an endless night? Lassoed the moon and the stars and pulled that rope tight. Have you ever held your breath and asked yourself, will it ever get better than tonight?" -Pink

Time: 1 pm
Distance: 7.36 miles
Time: 1:04:55
Music: Pink

No comments:

Post a Comment