Sunday, September 23, 2012

5th Ave Mile & Marathon Tune up

By no means do I claim to be a sprinter, but I signed up for and ran the 5th Ave Mile.  A one mile race down one of the busiest avenues in NYC.  I had never ran just one mile as fast as I can before.  I've been working on long distances.  It usually takes my a mile or two to hit my stride and I don't really kick in until mile three.  In this situation that would be of no use, the race would be over.  I am in good shape and was up for the challenge.  I ended up jogging for about 2 miles right before my heat to get warmed up.  I took off as fast as I could.  It was rough.  I was pushing it.  Thought I was gonna die.  Longest 5:35 minutes of my life.  I was happy with that time, not really having anything to compare it to.  Next time I think I can beat that time...  maybe. 

Time: 9:40 am
Distance: 1 mile
Time: 5:35 minutes
Music: none

The very next day I had the marathon tune up.  Three laps in Central park totaling 18 miles.  Not sure if it had to do with the sprint the day before or just the alignment of the stars, but today was a rough day.  Some days you are on and other days you just aren't.  An example of a good day was the Bronx 10 mile. Everything felt good and I ran better than expected.  Today was the other end of the spectrum. I wasn't having fun, wasn't feeling good and had to fight hard to keep running.  I just wanted to do anything else but run 18 miles.  I finished it up and was glad it was over.  Crossing my fingers that the day of the marathon is a "on" day.  

Time: 7 am
Distance: 18 miles
Time: 2:19:19
Music: Shuffle

No comments:

Post a Comment