Friday, September 21, 2012

Run 92 UPS

As I've mentioned before, I am fascinated with what goes on "behind the scenes" of NYC.  I ended up being out really late one night.  I had missed a few days running and wasn't going to miss another, so even though it was 3:30 am I took off on a run.  I just so happened to pass the UPS garage.  We all love sending a package to a loved one or even better having a package delivered right to our door step. (anyone need my address??) But do you ever thing about the logistics behind how that happens?  As I started running past the garage I giggled at the amount of UPS trucks.  I hadn't really thought about it before.  Soon the giggle turned into gaping mouth shock.  When I got to the end of the building I knew I had to figure out approximately how many trucks were in there, lucking the garage doors were numbered.  There were 70 doors and inside each door there were 2 trucks, every now and then 3 trucks.  There was a conveyor belt system that ran the entire width of the building, obviously sending packages to the correct truck.  It wasn't until I rounded the corner and started running past the other side of the building that I realized I wasn't done counting.  The garage continued on this side of the building as well, so 70 wasn't the final door count.  By the end there were 136 double garage doors, all with at least 2 trucks. and some extras shoved in there when they could. So there was approximately 280 UPS trucks inside this garage, just waiting to bring you cookies that grandma just made.  That's how we do it NYC style.     


serious...      

fun...    



Time: 3:30 am
Distance: 5.57 miles
Time: 45:35 minutes
Music: Rent

No comments:

Post a Comment