Sunday, September 30, 2012

Run 97 Shoes

Shoes!  Running shoes are no laughing matter.  When I started running I just went to the nearest athletic store and picked out a pair of shoes that I liked.  I got Nike for no other reason than I am brainwashed that they are "cool" and I wanted a nike+ running chip in them.  I picked out the size and color that I liked, tried them on to make sure they "fit" and walked out the door.  They worked well and I had no issues with them.  The next two pairs I had  similar shopping experience. As the marathon was approaching I wanted to have the "perfect" pair of running shoes to help me improve my time.  I got advice from running coaches on the "right" way to pick out running shoes.  They suggested going to a store that specializes in running shoes. A place that asks you questions about how you run and even better does running tests, like filming you run on a treadmill.  Also to never pick out shoes based on brand or color (whoops, lol.) 
I went to one of these shops and wanted to walk or even jog away with miracle shoes on my feet.  The guy at the store, did none of the running tests, seemed in a hurry to close and wanted me to try on the one shoe he suggested, love it, buy it and leave.  I forced him to find a few other options.  The shoe didn't feel as good as my last three pair, but he's the expert so I bought them.  I wore them once and had a horrible run, I was sloshing around in them and they made my legs muscles hurt.  I didn't finish the run I went home and changed into my old shoes.
I still needed new shoes so I tried a different specialized running store.  This time they at least put me on a treadmill, filmed me running and showed that my technique is normal and I don't need any type of special shoe to help fix my step, a neutral shoe.  But then the choices and sizes of shoes became a problem.  They just didn't carry enough variety or have enough shoes in my size, that I felt like I was settling for what they had.  I wish I could have bought some thing from them, because they were nice and trying really hard to get me in shoes I loved.
I took my new knowledge and went back to your basic shoe store.  Started trying on neutral shoes, with med support, not too much, not too little.  I went back to how I started buy shoes, just trying shoes on and getting which ever ones felt good.  I ended up buying 2 pairs.  I'm going to rotate them, until I like one better than the other to wear durning the marathon.
So my advice to others about buying shoes: just get what feels good on your feet.  If you have any question about the fit, move on, try another pair (or store). 


Time: Midnight
Distance: 7.38 miles
Time: 58:40 minutes
Music: shuffle

No comments:

Post a Comment