Sunday, October 16, 2011

Run 16 Parking

Today I took off with the intention run 6 miles, but with my new found distance ability I didn't stop there, I ended up running over 8 miles.  I ran 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st streets.  As I run around NYC, I some times think about what it's like to live here.  How are daily lives are different from other people in other cities.  How my life has changed in the different locations.  Here's one example.  I grew up in Arizona, where there was plenty of space.   Plenty of space means plenty of parking.  Paying for parking was not something I was used to.  As the years and locations went by, I have gotten use to the idea.   But I still cringe when I see what people pay for parking in NYC.  We are talking and arm and leg here!! 


There's one place near Time Square that charges $11.83 per HALF hour (yes, 30 minutes)  and then there is a 18.375% sales tax on top of that.  If you were to go to a 2 hour movie, that would be about $56.  Not to mention the valet is gonna expect a tip on top of that.  Now you understand why I buy a $104/month subway card and travel that way.  


Trying to park on the street is just as big as a catastrophe.  Finding a spot, parallel parking, the meters cost 50 cents per 10 minutes and the biggest headache of all is trying to decipher all of the signs, to see if you can legal park there.   While researching this post I found a pretty neat web site, called Primo Spot
(http://www.primospot.com/) From the website or your mobile device you can log into your location and find available street parking, garages, pricing, and the funnest feature (in my opinion) a view of all the parking signs that apply to that area.  Check it out.  


For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I've been talking some pictures of parking signs and lots to share with you.  I Hope you enjoy. 








Time: 2 pm
Distance: 1:20:32
Time: 8.57 miles
Music: Miranda Lambert

No comments:

Post a Comment