Monday, October 10, 2011

Run 15

So a few days ago I decided to push myself on the pace, today I decided to try and do a long run and push myself on distance.  I usually run about 4 to 4.5 miles.  I had plenty of time and it was another really nice day, so why not run as far as I can. There's always little experiences that happen only in New York.  My run today started with one of those, shortly after I started I could hear an accordion playing.  I looked around to try and figure out where it was coming from.  I spotted a guy sitting 3 or 4 stories up, on his fire escape practicing away.  It was one of those scenes that could be the opening scene to a movie or novel,  
"With the unseasonably warm autumn sun blazing high above Pavel sits on his 3rd story NYC fire escape practicing his accordion.  We pan out to the bustling street below, where...."  These little experiences are the ones that make you take a step back and say, "I live in New York City".  With everyday life quickly passing by some times we forget that.  


I also noticed all the sudden that everyone around me was looking up into the sky.  So I peeked to see what the attraction was and a sky-writer was writing a message in the sky.  I didn't hang around to see what it said, but it was fun anyway.




So I ran down 25th and 24th streets, after that I wanted to stop, because that is as far as I normally run, but like I said I wanted to try and push my distance today, so I was gonna try and do one more street or even 2 if I could make it.  So 23rd street was completed and I put my mind to it and decided I wasn't gonna stop until after 22nd street was checked off the list too.  As the run went along, I'll have to admit it was harder to pay attention to my surroundings.  I was just determined to run.  At the end of the day I ran 8.41 miles. Pretty much twice as far as I usually run.  You may be wondering how much slower my average pace was.  To my surprise it was 9:04/mile, which is right in the same ball park I've been running.  Not to shabby I'd have to admit.  


So now I guess I need to start running three streets per run instead of two.  Time permitting, that is my new goal.  


Time: 4pm
Distance: 8.41 miles
Time: 1:16:17
Music: Spring Awakening

No comments:

Post a Comment