Thursday, September 1, 2011

Run 2

Well, This is definitely going to be a learning experience.  It's gonna take me a while to get it right. both the running and the blog, lol.  There were a few things I learned on my first run.  First if I'm gonna be running on the streets of NYC at night I need to get some blinky lights or reflectors, so I don't get run over.  Second , it is best to run with traffic, most of the streets in NYC are one way, my first run I went against traffic.  Today I ran the same direction as traffic and it was already a little better.  


Today's ran started out on the same path I take to the subway quite frequently, so I was already pretty familiar with it.  I headed down to 44th street and ran east.  Passing by more Broadway theaters and right through time square again.  I ran down 44th until it ended at the Met life building and I had to take a little detour.  I was surprised by a small up hill section between 2nd and 3rd avenues.  I think of Manhattan as fairly flat.  Where'd that hill come from?  I ran all the way to the dead end of the UN Headquarters again and then turned around and headed west on 45th all the way home.


As I started my run is was 10:30ish, the same time all the Broadway shows were just ending.  Running through that area was a bit like an obstacle course.  While I was dodging pedestrians, I came up with a pretty good idea.  Since I haven't told anyone about this yet and have no Followers.  I should wear a "FOLLOW ME" T-shirt with the blog address.  Who knows some of the tourists might get a kick out of it, I'll have to make a T-shirt soon.  I get some weird looks from people, especially at stop lights.  I don't want to stop, so some times I run back and forth in the intersection.  If I had a T-shirt saying I was a runner, maybe people will be less confused, lol.  The strangest look I got was from a very overweight guy, outside smoking.  I wish he would follow me.  


So counting food vendors was no where near as exciting as I thought it would be.  In the 3.5 miles I went today there were 10, woo hoo!! 


One very interesting thing in NYC is the garbage. There's so much of it, yet it quickly disappears.  Walking down the street it's entertaining to see what people are throwing away.  On my run I ran by some one who was just throwing out a mannequin.  I was looking at it, cause it looked kind of funny sticking out of the garbage pile.  The man saw me looking at it and yelled, "Take her home!!"  It was amusing.  Here she is for your enjoyment too....




      


Towards the end of my run, I was running back by the Broadway Theaters and Bernadette Peters was at the edge of her limo taking one more photo before hoping in.  I wanted to yell, "Bernadette Follow me".  If I had my blog shirt on I would have.   :)


So I know it's only my second run, but I already felt a bit of accomplishment today.  As I was running back I saw the Helmsley Building, this time from the other two corners.  I've now seen it from all four angles and know what it is.  Maybe this will be worth it.  




Time: 10:30
Distance: 3.54 miles
Time: 31.52 Minutes
Music: Carrie Underwood



No comments:

Post a Comment