Saturday, December 3, 2011

Run 33 67th Street!!

Some times there's sections of New York City that are magical.  I probably can't explain why or even describe it.  It happens when a bunch or different factors fall into place just at the right moment.  It has to do with the weather, the surroundings, the people, your mood and attitude, your pace, your mind, the activities your doing, the sounds you hear, the energy around you and so much more.  I pulled the following from my journal, an entry on August 1, 2010, as an example of what I'm talking about.


"Why I live in NYC, center of the universe.  I just saw a production of Our Town staring Helen Hunt.  It was a fabulous production with a talented cast, it was beautiful, entertaining and thought provoking.  Helen was everything I expected her to be, near perfection, the ease at which she tells a story is remarkable. It was a treat and a pleasure to see her perform live, a mixture of admiration, jealousy and awe. I left the theatre with a euphoric feeling, everything was beautiful, perfect and amazing.  I was walking down the street right behind Helen Hunt, disguised in cargo shorts, a back pack and sunglasses she walked unnoticed down the street to a massage parlor, seems like a nice treat in between shows.  There were bakeries and shops on every corner, parks filled with blooming flowers, which, of course, I did stop and smell.  The temperature was perfect for a city stroll, not too hot, but sunny with a cool, light summer breeze.  I enter the subway to find a street musician playing a mandolin or some exotic instrument to enjoy as I waited for my train, which came in just a few short minutes. 
I don’t want to wake up from my post show euphoric bliss!"

One of these magical moments happened to my as a ran a specific block of 67th Street between Central Park West and Columbus Avenue.  Modern buildings in general have lost the artistic flare that used to go into them.  The ornate decorations and detail have disappeared.  Some of those old buildings are still around NYC.  I was having a nice run when I happened into this block of 67th Street.  There was about 5 beautiful old buildings right in a row.  I felt like I had wandered onto a movie set or back in time or even into a dream.  I ran with a smile on my face.  It made such an impression on me that I went back later to take some pictures so I can share them with you.  Too bad the pictures alone aren't enough to create one of those magical moments I mentioned, but I hope you know the feeling.  


Time: 2pm
Distance: 4.08 miles
Time: 33:46 minutes
Music: Jewel






No comments:

Post a Comment