Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Brooklyn Half Marathon

As you know from the previous post in the past 48 hours I hiked all three peaks of Olo Mana, Stairway to Heaven, Hanauma Bay Ridge, and Kokohead stairs.  I then spent all night/day travel from Hawaii home to NYC.  I arrived at 10 pm.  While unpacking and getting settled at 2 am I decided to be a volunteer for The Brooklyn Half Marathon.  So I went to bed at 2:30 am, got up at 4 am to be in Brooklyn by 5:15 am.  I helped out as a starting line marshal, telling people which starting gate they could be in.  After the race started, we did a little clean up.  I was done at 7:45, it just so happened that I was in my running clothes, so I walked back down to the starting line, to see the situation.  The cones were still set up outlining the course, so I turned on Nike+ and took off.  
I began running and surprisingly caught up to the last place person just shy of mile 3. He was walking, so don't give me to much credit.  Soon after I started passing more and more people. After a while I was right with the pack.  About 9 miles into the race my knee started to hurt.  I had to slow down some, but was determined to finish what I started.  I ended up crossing the finishing line in 1 hour and 48 minutes.  At that point I had passed 969 people.  If I was to insert my time into the official results I would have been 762 out of 1,809 in my age category and 3,800 out of 14,160 overall.  Not bad for my long first race.  I've got the running bug, I then went home and registered for 9 more races in the next couple of months, I better hit the streets! :)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment